Circularity of Farm To Hanger's products
What Is Sustainable Fashion?
Sustainable fashion, also called eco fashion, is part of the growing design philosophy and trend of sustainability, the goal of which is to create a system which can be supported indefinitely in terms of human impact on the environment and social responsibility. It can be seen as an alternative trend against fast fashion.
- No child labour
- Low carbon footprint
- Locally sourced raw materials
- Utilises recycled textiles
- Waste management of reduce, reuse, recycle in a closed loop system
- Supports local business and fair trade
- Goes against the trend of fast fashion and consumerism
Our 100% Transparent Supply Chain Gives You Peace of Mind
- Our cotton farmer is Glenn and his family from St George, QLD
- Our textile fabricator is Meriel, coordinating a team from Brisbane, QLD
- Our postie's are Jenni and Luke
- All our garment construction is now in-house at Daylesford, Victoria (where Anna-Louise works tirelessly)
- All our textile waste is now split into three sections, reusable, repurposed and recycled.
- We reuse scraps to make dog toys for a local charity
- The rest that can't be reused or repurposed can be sent to recycling in Victoria. However, since we started we haven't needed to send anything to recycling and continue to work with our textile waste to produce biodegradable compost.
The Raw Materials
Every garment that we make has to be as sustainable as possible. With that in mind we set out to find the best sustainably grown natural fibres we could. Finding what we wanted wasn't easy, a naturally occurring raw material that needed very little human intervention, resource efficient and sustainably grown, preferably Australian.
What we found was Rogan Pastoral Co, a fourth generation 100% Australian Owned and Operated family farm, the home of Australian Super Cotton. They have been growing upland cotton at St George, QLD since 1976 and is now Australia’s only remaining dedicated grower of Australia’s Long Staple (ALS) cotton, since its inception in 2007. The family’s innovative farming methods has seen them recognised as industry leaders and awarded the 2013 Australian Cotton Industry High Achiever of the Year award. The Rogan’s pride themselves on producing a high quality fibre under sustainable and ethical farming practices are focused on continuous improvement, which is why we are so proud to be part of their legacy.
- It is the longest, finest, strongest threads of upland cotton grown in the world [ALS]
- Voluntary use of industry audited Best Management Practices ensures traceability and accountability; the cotton is able to be traced back to the paddock it was grown on
- Grown in an environmentally friendly way.
- Varieties used and management practices used are at the scientific leading edge for water use efficiency.
For further information visit www.austsupercotton.com.au
Our textile fabrication is done by a dedicated team, producing the highest quality fabrics using industry best practices. Exclusively working with sustainable Australian grown cotton, they meticulously produce each fabric with the utmost care for quality and the environment, right here in Australia. Our next step will be working together, to create beautiful vibrant colours to broaden the range, and in future, using natural based dyes with our processing mills.
Our factory is currently running on 100% greenpower, water collection tanks and septic system. The new facility will be 100% sustainable with solar power and Tesla powerwalls and will provide a beautiful, safe and healthy work environment for our staff. Filled with recycled machines, that would have otherwise gone to the tip, we are minimising another side to the fashion industry's waste.
Everyone that works at Farm To Hanger are paid fair wages under Australian employment standards. Our ECA certification also ensures that our work environment and conditions are transparent and provide a safe and healthy work environment.
Farm To Hanger Packaging
Our minimalist packaging keeps everything classy and simple with recycled eco-friendly packaging and promotional materials. . Not one piece of plastic is used in our packaging. (Except for the sending satchel which we are working on eliminating asap!) We use recycled card stocks, papers and stickers, even our Luxe gift boxes are 100% recycled!
Reuse - Repair and Recycle Service
Planting A Tree For Every Single Item We Sell
We are going another step further in our quest for a sustainable future, we are planting one tree for every garment we sell. We have partnered with Greenfleet through their biodiverse carbon offset program to plant a tree for every product we sell at a cost of $4.02 each. We love the earth, so we are getting our hands dirty and attending planting events. Some times actions speak louder than words.
When you shop Farm to Hanger, you’re not only getting quality clothing that reduces environmental impact and waste, you’re getting a traceable, transparent supply chain that supports local communities, farmers and families.