What Is Sustainable Fashion?
Sustainable fashion, also called eco fashion, is a part of the growing design philosophy and trend of sustainability, the goal of which is to create a system which can be supported indefinitely in terms of human impact on the environment and social responsibility. It can be seen as an alternative trend against fast fashion.
- No child labour
- Low carbon footprint
- Locally sourced raw materials
- Utilises recycled textiles
- Waste management of reduce, reuse, recycle in a closed loop system
- Supports local business and fair trade
- Utilises sustainable farming practices, reduced water consumption and crop rotation.
- Goes against the trend of fast fashion and consumerism
What's Better Than “Organic”? Being Traceable.
What many people don’t realise is that just because the tag says “organic,” doesn’t mean it’s grown in Australia under our strict organic standards.As there are no organic cotton farms in Australia, raw organic cotton is imported from other countries that may not follow the same stringent standards we do here at Farm to Hanger.
- A small number of Australian cotton growers have experimented with organic cotton in the past, but a number of factors have prohibited it from entering long-term commercial production in Australia
When you simply buy organic, there's no way of knowing if your clothing brand supports child labour, pays unfair wages, or utilises sustainable farming and manufacturing processes.That’s what makes Farm to Hanger truly unique, we can trace exactly where our cotton comes from and it is 100% GROWN and MADE right here in Australia, using sustainable managed farming practices and Australian employment conditions.
Our 100% Transparent Supply Chain Gives You Peace of Mind
From Trace-ability comes Transparency, knowing exactly where your clothing comes from. From the Queensland farm where we get our cotton to my Sydney shop where I make your clothing. In fact, we know every single person who touches our beautiful garments by name…
- Our cotton farmer is Glenn and his family from St George, QLD
- Our textile fabricator is Meriel coordinating a team from Brisbane, QLD
- Our postie is Grant for small items and Mark for large.
- All our garment construction is now in-house in Sydney, NSW (where Anna-Louise works tirelessly)
- All our textile waste is now split into reusable and anything that can't be repurposed goes to Margaret to recycle in Melbourne, VIC
When you shop Farm to Hanger, you’re not only getting quality clothing that reduces environmental impact and waste, you’re getting a traceable, transparent supply chain that supports local farmers, businesses and families.
Why The T-Shirt
With the fashion industry being the second largest polluting industry on the planet, we started with the t-shirt because we believe that the best way to change an industry is to start with the largest single produced garment. Australians are also one of the worst countries for textile reuse and recycling with the Australian Bureau of statistics stating 2009-10. 501,000 tonnes (or 88%) of leather and textiles were sent to landfill.
We keep everything classy and simple with recycled eco-friendly packaging and promotional materials. Even our Luxe gift boxes are 100% recycled.
We are going one step further in our quest for a sustainable future, we are planting one tree for every garment we sell. We have partnered with Greenfleet through their biodiverse carbon offset program and are currently offsetting 15.28tonnes of CO2-e
Even if you don't buy anything from Farm To Hanger, please consider everything you do and how it affects the planet.
Acknowledgement of Country
We acknowledge the Traditional Custodians of this Land, and their Elders, past, present and future